Brief Hotel History
The Howard Arms Hotel was built as a coaching inn, and served as an overnight halt, providing accommodation and food, to many from near and afar. It was owned for many years by the Howard family, they owned a large estate locally, and used the hotel for their guests as well as the public. It was not until 1947 that it became a temperance Hotel; though it is unclear when this unfortunate state of de-licensing occurred, as it is well documented as an alehouse for many years, in its earlier days. The property had at one time a function room accommodating 200 people, and in excess of 50 bedrooms, along with meeting rooms etc. The building was separated into two sections in more recent times, and part of the building is now a nursing home and the other is our little hotel. Charles Dickens stayed at the Hotel in the later part of the 19th Century.
The Hotel has seen many owners over the last 50 years; it is now privately owned, and managed by the owners, Thomas & Dulce, since 2010, which have been in the Hospitality Industry for many years.
The Hotel comprises 10 Executive en suite bedrooms, Restaurant and Bar. We also have a function room suite, available for parties of up to 80, beer garden, Pool table and darts, as well as, private dining room facilities, for up to 18 guests and we are pleased to offer bespoke menus for these facilities.
- Enquiries using email are available as an alternative for the hearing impaired.
- Assistance (Guide & Hearing) dogs are welcome in all areas without prior notice.
- All guest bedrooms are fitted with audible smoke detectors.
- When checking in please advise us if you need assistance in the event of an emergency.
- If a guest needs help filling in a registration card please inform us.
- Emergency information can be communicated verbally on request.
- The nearest train station is 1.5 miles away at Brampton Junction.
- There are several taxi firms based in Brampton, Taxis can be booked for guests; alternatively, there are numerous public buses passing our town centre daily a timetable is available at the hotel or at our tourist information centre in town.
- Brampton town centre has shops and these include a chemist, small super market, banks with ATMs as well as many other shops. There is a small petrol station on the outskirts of the town. Assistance with luggage is available.
- All rooms have remote control digital TV which also incorporates radio reception.
- All rooms have hot beverage facilities with tea and coffee & biscuits available.
- The Hotel has Fibre optic – Wi-Fi throughout , so internet is readily available for guests. Mobile phone coverage is average for most networks.
- People with nut allergies should be aware that we do use nuts in the kitchen.
- All indoor areas of the Howard Arms are non-smoking, for smokers, there are designated smoking areas, during opening hours. All guest bedrooms are en-suite.
- We recommend people with limited mobility do not stay at the Howard Arms alone.
Pre – Arrival / Parking Facilities
The Howard Arms has numerous parking spaces for vehicles CCTV monitored at the rear of our building. There are no designated disabled parking bays. However all parking is within close proximity to our building.
Main Entrance / Reception
- The entrance is into a hard floor which extends throughout the downstairs area and open fire places.
- There are toilets for guests to use.
- The floor covering is non-slip to the entire downstairs areas.
- The porch is lit with natural light as well as with electric low energy lighting.
- The breakfast area is on the same level as the reception and lounge areas.
- All furniture is moveable and can therefore accommodate different size groups.
- At the Howard Arms we have a bar which is open also to non-residents. No aggressive or boisterous behaviour is permitted as per our licensing rules and also members of the local Police Pub watch scheme
- The Howard Arms does not have a lift and we do not have ground floor rooms.
- The staircase has a banister rail on both sides
- Guest bedrooms have a super king, double, twin beds or single beds.
- All of our bedrooms have natural day light as well as ceiling spotlights & bedside lights.
- Pillow protectors are hypo allergenic. We do not provide feather duvets or pillows.
- All bedrooms have individually controlled heating.
- All en-suite bathrooms are fitted with non-slip flooring, though mats are also available if needed.
- All en-suite bathrooms have step in showers or bath tub.
- For guest comfort extra blankets and pillows are available on request.
Anything else we may assist you with, please ask Dulce or Thomas or a member of our team, we will do our upmost as we want and do hope all our guests have a comfortable stay with us at the Howard Arms, thank you.